This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

Open Now:

0800 690 6008

Change Of Tenancy For Business Electricity 

Not sure what to do when moving business premises? Here's a full guide on what you need to do or click the button below to find out if you can switch suppliers. 

Compare and switch online

setting up business electricity with change of tenancy.

  • British Gas logo.
  • EDF Logo.
  • Scottish Power Logo.
  • EON Next logo.
  • British Gas Lite Logo.
  • Opus Energy Logo.
  • DELETE business energy logo.
  • Smartest Energy Logo.

Business Change Of Tenancy - First Steps 

Are you moving your business to new premises? Although there are many things to take into consideration, one that is often overlooked is managing your business electricity. It may not be the most gruelling challenge, but there are crucial steps you must take before and after you relocate. Most notably — completing a Change of Tenancy letter.

To make this process as clear and smooth as possible, the experts at Business Electricity Prices have created the below guide — including all the information you need to make sure you never pay more for your commercial electricity than you need to.

Compare and switch online

Change Of Tenancy New Contracts 

The previous tenants supplier will continue to supply electricity to the premises when you move in. This sounds convenient, right? Well you will be charged very high electricity prices if you fail to agree to a new contract with any supplier. These are known as deemed rates. 

It's sensible to find a new supplier when you move into new premises or at least agree to a new contract with your old supplier. 

Change Of Tenancy Proof

When moving into new business premises, you will need to provide proof that you're the new occupier. Acceptable proof is usually confirmation from the landlord, estate agent confirmation, business rate statements or mortgage completion letter if you have purchased the property. 

Change Of Tenancy Notice 

First of all you will need to let your current business electricity supplier know that you're moving premises as soon as possible. 

Many suppliers have a form for business that are moving to fill in. Here are the forms for some of the major UK suppliers: 

E.ON Change of Tenancy Business - email [email protected] or call 0808 501 5699

EDF Change of Tenancy Business - call 0333 009 7115 

British Gas Change of Tenancy Business - online process here

Scottish Power Change of Tenancy Team - 0800 074 0062 

nPower Business Solutions powered by E.ON - online pdf forms for electricity and gas (click links for the form) 

Opus Change of Tenancy Business - online form here

SSE Business Change of Tenancy - online form here

Yu Energy Change of Tenancy - online form here

TotalEnergies Change of Tenancy - online form here

Smartest Energy Change of Tenancy - download form here

Always include the date of your move, final meter readings, forwarding business address and landlord contact details. 

Some extra things you should do to cover yourself if anything goes wrong is to take pictures of your meter readings before you move out of your premises. This helps with any potential disputes over billing. Do this even if you have smart meters.

Finally, switch everything off completely before you leave to stop any extra charges being applied to your final bill. 

Don't want to stick with your current supplier when you move? In 30 seconds, you can compare business electricity prices and select the tariff that’s right for your company.

Find a new deal

How is my electricity supplied when I move to a new building?

The first time you enter your new property, you won’t be left without power. Instead, the previous tenant’s provider will continue to supply electricity and/or gas. The supplier should have already been informed by the previous tenants that they had left the premises.

Your electricity will still be provided by this supplier, however, if you’re not already in a new contract, you’ll be charged at ‘Out of contract’ rates — a very high premium rate.

Moving to a location covered by your current supplier

If your business is moving to an area that is already covered by your current electricity provider, you need to inform them as soon as possible that you are the new tenant.

This is important for two reasons:

  • It prevents your business from being held liable for charges incurred by the previous tenant
  • It means you can negotiate a competitive tariff rate right away (or switch to a new provider early)

Your electricity supplier will provide you with a change of tenancy letter for you, which requires information detailing your new business address and the date on which you intend to move from your current location. 

The supplier will also require one of the following forms of proof of a change in tenancy:

  • Confirmation from the landlord
  • Confirmation from the estate agent handling the move
  • Confirmation from the solicitor handling the move
  • A copy of the mortgage completion letter (if the property was bought)

How to avoid ‘Out of Contract’ rates

The best way to avoid paying additional charges to your electricity bill is to ensure you’ve set up a new tariff ahead of time, whether you negotiate a new deal with your current supplier or you use an electricity comparison engine to switch providers to save more.

Moving to a location not covered by your current supplier

If, on the other hand, your current supplier doesn’t cover the area you’re moving to, you’ll need to inform them as quickly as you can that you’re leaving their area of coverage and that you’re no longer the tenant of your current property.

This is important for two reasons:

  • It prevents your business from being held liable for charges incurred by the new tenant
  • It means you have time to negotiate a competitive deal with your new supplier

As well as your change of tenancy letter, your supplier may want to know some of the following information:

  • The reason you’re moving out
  • Where your business is moving to (if applicable)
  • Who the new occupier of your current will be (if known)

Regardless of whether you’re moving to an area that is covered by your current supplier or if you need to find a new provider, it’s crucial that you take a final meter reading on the last day in your current premises and an initial meter reading in your new location. This will provide you with evidence to show your supplier, ensuring that you only pay for exactly the amount of electricity you use.

Compare business electricity rates

Save money on your electricity bills.